Thoughts from Behind The Mike

 Seasons come and seasons go and time marches on despite wins and losses. 


With the work I am fortunate enough to do and call my career I see a LOT of young men and women get close to attaining their goals or fall just short. Some of the times those pursuits stick with you because you're lucky to be around these hard working youngsters for years at a time. 

Sometimes in my line of work you're there at the right time and you get to see just a glimpse of how hard life can be sometimes and how no matter how hard you work and want it that it just doesn't work out for you.....unfortunately that was the case for Fort Recovery in Akron tonight. 

I do as much as I can to try to get to as many different teams and keep tabs on as many sports and schools as I can but am reminded at times that I am only one person and can only do so much, despite what I might tell myself while still being there for my amazing wife and daughter. 

Tonight the boys from the Fort will hang their heads that they weren't able to bring home the schools first baseball title I'm sure, but I hope they keep the long view that they accomplished things NO TEAM in 71 years had done while also ending the season on an amazing and inspiring run of wins just to get to the finals............kudos to you young men, it was a pleasure to get to watch you and cover you this season. You've made the state take notice and we couldn't be more proud of your 2024 campaign. 


With that being said, it is no secret to anyone that really knows me or probably has even heard me on the air that I am an EXTREMELY mushy person who wears his heart on his sleeve and will do whatever I can for anyone I like (and some I don't because it's the correct thing to do). In preparing for the postseason (or any game really) I read a lot and watch a lot of highlights and twitter (errr X) videos to get to as much information on both teams as I can.

Ohio prep sports and specifically Northwest-ish Ohio is truly blessed to have so many great reporters, sports anchors and guys (and gals) who call games. I had planned on naming off of a bunch of them but to be honest I don't want the point to get lost or someone to get pissy that they weren't mentioned.....those I admire know who they are anyways. PLEASE be sure to thank your local play by play radio or tv guy or your newspaper writer or reporter or whomever you come in contact with that covers your area, you don't know how much it will mean to them for all of the hard work and hours they put in to be recognized.


Fall sports are only just over two months away as crazy as that sounds. Plenty of fields and courts will feel my presence, good or bad as that may be as I attempt to keep busy promoting as many kids and sports as possible in a positive light, so beware and prepare yourself as such. 


If you get a chance please check out my podcast Around The Hirn . I bring this up not as a cheap promotional thing but because I truly believe in the people that are willing to come on this show and spend some time with me and hope that they get the spotlight they deserve....or as much as I can try to use whatever my platform is anyways to do so. 


Friday afternoon was spent as one of two people at a 1:20 (more like 1:50 after previews) movie to see Bad Boys 4. While it's not my favorite of the franchise I would still put it ahead of the 3rd offering and behind 2 and 1 (Reggie ya look 30!)....if only Matthews had been here to see it with me it would've been better. 


Somehow I have a three year old daughter. She continues to inspire me and amaze me every single day, I never thought I would type pretty much any of that together but here we are. How such a bright little soul came half from me I will never understand........but I can't begin to say how thankful I am for this little gift and the light she's brought into our lives. 


In summation these are just random thoughts I had to get out of my brain late at night. Inspired by my friend Rob Adams and his incredible blog and #Project365 maybe this should be a more regular thing? 


The only words of wisdom I can leave you with are the remarks of famous world savers William S. Preston Esquire and Ted Theodore Logan: "Be excellent to each other!" (We all need a little bit more of that these days).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We should all have this kind of friend

Riders race past Cats to open season